In 2018 we are offering four optional pre-conference excursions. All pre-conference excursions have an additional cost listed below for transport, food, and the excursion’s event (tour, etc.).
- All 2018 pre-conference excursions are open only to citizen bloggers, published writers, press, and their family members or significant others who are also registered for the conference. Please contact us if you have questions about this.
- If you must cancel your spot, your conference registration fee and excursion fee are 50% refundable through July 24, 2018 and not refundable after that.
- All excursions will take place on Friday, August 24 from 9:00am – 12:00pm and begin and end at the Royal Sonesta, the conference hotel.
SOLD OUT!! Walking Tour of NOLA’s Culinary Scene presented by Custom Conventions
The Historic Culinary Tour will be conducted by Marc Preuss, the former owner of the renowned Broussard’s Restaurant. Broussard’s is one of the five oldest creole restaurants in our city. Marc’s passion and personality brings a special perspective to our educational tour of a food culture that Anthony Bourdain called one of the most unique in the world. With Marc, an elite all-around culinary authority, this adventure will surprise, amuse, and leave a lasting impression, all while being lots of fun.
We will meet at 8:45am in the lobby of the Royal Sonesta Hotel.
The group will walk a few blocks to the Napoleon House, a 200 year old landmark. Here you will meet the Chef, Chris Montero. Our famous muffaletta sandwich will be both savored and explained, followed by a question-and-answer session with the owner, Ralph Brennan. *(this is private)
The group will then walk another block to the oldest family-owned restaurant in America. Antoine’s is a 176 year old legacy still owned by the same family. Here the group will meet Chef Mike Regua, the owners, and the in-house historian. Samples of Antoine’s classic dishes will be served and explained. We will visit the kitchen, and more, of this great New Orleans institution.
From Antoine’s we will walk over to the French Market, the second oldest public market in the United States. Here we will meet owners, farmers, and vendors, while tasting delicious and culturally-centric samples.
Yes, we eat some alligator down here, but we also boast plenty of other world-famous dishes.
Our morning journey will wrap up at the home of Chef Gunter Preuss, one of the city’s greatest legends of local cuisine. Chef will prepare a delicious New Orleans dessert, served with our classic chicory coffee. All of these stops will include history, culture, the opportunity to meet the city’s top chefs, restaurant owners, our people, and so much more.
The tour will end at noon only a few blocks from the Royal Sonesta Hotel.
- Max capacity: 25
- Pickup: Royal Sonesta fountain at 9:00am
- $30/person includes food and tour
- Reserve your spot on this walking tour here