On Friday afternoon at the 2019 International Food Blogging Conference we will have a panel titled Food Blogging Around the World. Our three panelists come from the UK, France, and China.
Make no mistake in thinking that food blogging in North America is the same as it is elsewhere around the world. There are many similarities but also many differences.
Blogging in China
As just one example of the differences, consider blogging in China. We at Zephyr Conferences recently received a report on wine blogging in China, with support from Wine Australia in advance of the Wine Media Conference we are running there this October. Here are a few of the gems from this report:
- The traditional blog, with a custom domain that is self-hosted or hosted by blogging service, is uncommon in China
- Microblogging, subscription-based social media accounts, short videos, and live-streaming are Chinese favorites
- Social media and e-commerce are deeply integrated, effectively blurring the line between knowledge sharing and sales, such that Key Opinion Leaders (Influencers) are motivated to convert their social media followers to purchasing directly within the social media platforms
- 98% of the 802 million Chinese who are online access the internet via a smart phone, so that many social media platforms are only available via apps
- For every social media channel in the West, there are approximately seven Chinese equivalents
These differences are profound and should provide for an interesting discussion.
Our International Panel
Our panel will include:
- Olivier Moulin, who writes at Papa en Cuisine (Dad in the Kitchen) and is based in Paris, France. He writes “My life is my wife, my children, my job, my football games (on TV), my friends and … MY cooking !!”
- Laura Lynch of Savored Journeys, an American blogger based in the UK. Her partner Nick and she write about food and travel around the world.
- Jinchi (Jason) Hou of Pepsi Bear in Shanghai, China. Xiong is a long-time food and travel writer in China whose blog lists 112,612,032 visitors!
- Our moderator will be Laura Muller from Las Recetas de Laura.
We are very excited to be hosting this panel!