Following is a preliminary agenda*. We will post additional items as they are confirmed. All sessions take place at the Sacramento Convention Center unless otherwise noted. Previous years’ agendas and speakers can be found in our Archives.
*Agenda items are subject to change based upon speaker availability and scheduling.
Thursday, September 28
3:00 – 6:30 PM Pre-Conference Excursion: Fresh Thinking: Mooving towards a Climate-Friendly Cow, Max capacity: 50, $25, on sale Aug. 22 to those not registered for the conference before Aug. 15. Note: Participants must confirm and sign a waiver that states they have not been outside of the continental United States within the 7 days prior to this excursion.
Join Mootral on an exciting trip to the UC Davis beef farm where you will have the ultimate farm-to-fork experience – being the first in North America to try the world’s first climate-friendly beef!
The natural way that cows digest food results in GHG emissions being released into the environment. On this tour, you will learn about Mootral, an all-natural feed supplement that helpscows digest, reducing GHG emissions by a minimum of 30% and you will see it in action. Upon arrival to the UC Davis beef cattle feedlot, you will be greeted by one of the leading scientists in sustainable agriculture, Professor Ermias Kebreab.
Ermias will provide an overview of different activities to achieve sustainable livestock agriculture, including what are enteric fermentation and methane emissions and why they matter. Most importantly, he will walk you through the current trial you will witness in action, of beef cattle eating the Mootral feed and GHG emissions being measured through the GreenFeed system.
Following the tour, you will be pampered with a world-first, premium dinner featuring climate-friendly, dry-aged and smoked prime rib beef raised, processed and prepared at UC Davis. After dinner, you will be taken back to your hotel with a new appreciation for farm-to-fork and some Mootral swag to remember the experience.
Cobram Estate and the Olive Oil Commission of California are thrilled to invite you to experience Cobram Estate’s 2017 Olive Harvest.
Cobram Estate, the world’s most awarded olive oil, just launched in America for the very first time last year. To celebrate their California harvest this fall, they want to host you on day of olive oil-inspired noshing, scenic excursioning, harvesting and fun-having. You will get to see one of their stunning olive groves in the Sacramento Valley where Cobram’s Chef-at-Large, Kevin O’Connor, will be hosting happy hour with an eye-opening culinary experience that celebrates California’s fare and Cobram Estate’s shockingly delicious extra virgin olive oil. This excursion will give you the full olive harvest experience and show you the journey from tree to table.
Friday, September 29
Breakfast on Your Own: Our host hotel, the Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park offers a free hot buffet breakfast for its guests.
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM San Francisco Bay Coffee Company will provide coffee for all conference attendees at the Sacramento Convention Center
8:00 AM – 7:30 PM Registration & Book Display – Our registration area will be open daily. Stop by and browse fellow attendees’ cookbooks on our book display table.
8:00 – 8:45 AM Optional Yoga Session – We’ll be hosting a basic yoga session in California State Capitol Park for those interested in a little morning stretch session to start the day.
9:30 – 9:45 AM Official Conference Opening
10:30 – 11:30 AM All-Group Session – How to Make Money from Your Blog – Catherine Enfield of Munchie Musings will moderate this dynamic panel including two top bloggers and social media influencers: Melissa Johnson of Best Friends for Frosting and Abeer Rizvi of Cake Whiz. The panel will share their secrets to monetizing your blog in this informative and exciting session.
11:30 AM – 2:00 PM Picnic Lunch in the California State Capitol Park with Nugget Market
2:00 – 3:00 PM Breakout Sessions: Choose one of two
3:00 – 3:15 PM Break
3:15 – 4:15 PM Breakout Sessions: Choose one of two
- Get Paid For Your Posts – Gabi Logan: A step-by-step process for finding the right companies to target, how to put together a blogging proposal at the rate that pays your bills, close the client in one call & how to do paperwork that protects you.
- Let’s Talk Massive Instagram Growth – Stefani Pollack: As a blogger that grew to a 300K following on Instagram with 1,000 new followers a day, Stefani will discuss how to grow an engaged Instagram following and how to make money from it as a blogger.
4:15 – 6:30 PM Expo, Taste of Sacramento & Gift Suite – Enjoy a glass of wine, mingle with your friends, meet new IFBC attendees, check out this year’s goodies and takeaways, and say hello to our partners at this pre-dinner meet & greet.
Saturday, September 30
Breakfast on Your Own: Our host Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park has a free hot buffet breakfast.
7:15 – 8:15 AM Optional Fun Run Departing From the Residence Inn – Savor our host city on this morning fun run as we start day two. The fantastically fun and local running group 9run6 will lead us through their hometown and show us the sites along the way. All running levels welcome!
8:00 – 4:15 PM San Francisco Bay Coffee Company will provide coffee for all conference attendees at the Sacramento Convention Center
9:00 – 9:50 AM Breakout Sessions: Choose one of two
- Creating Videos for Under $100 – Lennis Perez: Learn how to make amazing food videos without breaking the bank by using simple, inexpensive props and tools, and finishing the videos with free editing software.
- Why Bloggers Need to Know SEO – Jennifer Bourn: Discover strategies and tools to help you leverage SEO to attract new visitors to your site and increase organic search traffic. Learn about on page optimization, image optimization, and content optimization, as well as critical schema markup for recipes and social media.
9:50 – 10:05 AM Break
10:05 – 10:55 AM Breakout Sessions: Choose one of two
- Beyond the Blog – Panel: Blogging can be the entry to a career in professional writing and business opportunities. Join moderator Midgi Moore with panelists Lori Rice, Laura Sampson, Shanna Jones, and Felice Sloan who will look at how to put your blog to work for you, and how you can break into a career in food, writing, photography, events, etc.
- How to Write a Scroll-Worthy Blog Post – Margaret Andrews: This session will teach bloggers how to write posts that will attract new readers and keep them coming back for more by hooking them right from the start, keeping them engaged, and hitting the subscribe button.
10:55 – 11:10 AM Break
11:10 AM – 12:00 PM Breakout Sessions: Choose one of two
- Google Analytics for Maximum Engagement – Stephanie Stiavetti: This advanced class will teach you how to effectively use Google Analytics so you can see exactly how many of your readers are doing what you want them to do, and where they’re falling off along the way.
- Hungry for Words – Keep Your Writing Fresh through Observation – Kathleen Flinn: So often a blog feels like a beast to feed. Learn to find details, moments and experiences that will keep your work relevant and interesting to your readers, but also to you!
12:00 – 2:15 PM Lunch at Golden1 Center
2:15 – 3:15 PM Discovery Sessions: Choose one of two. These sponsored sessions provide in-depth encounters with a drink or food product.
3:15 – 3:30 PM Break
3:30 – 4:30 PM Discovery Sessions: Choose one of two. These sponsored sessions provide in-depth encounters with a drink or food product.
- Styling for Social – How to Slice, Style and Solve your Trickiest Food Styling Challenges Want your #avotoast post to grab some extra likes? Join Avocados from Chile and Food Blogger Lisa Lin of Healthy Nibbles & Bits as Lisa shares her styling techniques for some common food styling stumps. Be prepared to roll up your sleeves for this hands on discovery session and leave with tips that will help to give your culinary posts the extra edge.
4:30 – 4:45 PM Break
4:45 – 5:45 PM Live Food & Drink Blogging: This is one of the premier experiences of the International Food Blogger Conference. Attendees will experience 10 different food and drink products in small-group encounters over a 50 minute period, all the while live blogging, Tweeting, and using other social media platforms in real time. Confirmed participants to date:
- Avocados from Chile
- Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, the Original
- Citrus From Chile
- El Dorado Wines
- Ironstone Vineyards
- Jardesca – Wine
- Nima Sensor
5:45 – 6:00 PM Conference Close and Announcement of 2018 Date & Location
Sunday, October 1
9:00 AM – 7:00 PM Post-Con Excursion: El Dorado County, Max capacity: 25, $25, SOLD OUT
The day begins at 9am when you’re picked up from the IFBC hotel (Residence Inn) and escorted to Skinner Vineyards. The MC will spend the 45 minute drive from Sacramento talking up El Dorado agriculture, history and wine. The group will enjoy a farm to table brunch prepared by Table Nectar. After a scrumptious brunch, you will depart for Downtown Placerville where Jody Franklin, El Dorado County Visitor Authority Director, will guide you on a historic walking tour of downtown, to include cheese & wine pairing, olive oil tasting, and charcuterie. The final stop of the excursion is to Boeger Winery. The Butcher’s Kitchen will provide our final extravaganza: Chef Casey will prepare dry aged prime angus beef ribeye roast, old school style-over a wood fire! Chef will add an educational component to his presentation by deconstructing a side of beef to discuss the various cuts of meat he is preparing, the aging process, how to select the best cuts and more! After dessert, port and cigars, you will be taken back to the Residence Inn by 7pm, full of great food, wine and memories. If flying home, it’s suggested bloggers stay in Sacramento Sunday night and fly home on Monday, Oct. 2.