The enticing post below comes to us from Margaret Andrews who will be conducting the “How to Write a Scroll-Worthy Blog Post” breakout session at 10:05 a.m. on Saturday, September 30th. (Hint: Read through – she’s looking for volunteers!) Looks like some great takeaways are in store for our IFBC17 attendees. Not yet registered? There’s still time!
How to Write a Scroll-Worthy Blog Post
Have you ever searched the interwebz for a hot, drippy, chocolate cricket cake recipe? And when you click over to Stanley’s Cricket Yummies blog post, do you skip through the part where Stanley talks about what he did over the weekend because it’s just a bunch of blah blah blah, diving into the minutiae of cricket mating habits and gestation periods because ain’t nobody got time for that and you just need the dang recipe already?
OMG, me too!
So, what makes you think people aren’t doing the same thing on your blog posts? Strangers skimming and skipping like a pig-tailed five-year-old to get to the good stuff.
What if what you write is kind of…boring? GASP! WHAT?
The truth is, if you don’t have the tools to grab your readers from word one, take them along through an irresistible and engaging story and leave them with a vivid picture that will stick in their heads the rest of the day, you may never see them again. Especially first-time visitors.
You want readers to come for the recipe (or whatever SEO keywords brought them over), but stay for coffee and chat. You want them hanging on your every word. You want them to share your post with their friends because your voice stands out from the crowd.
The trick is not just what you say, but HOW you say it. You want to write a scroll-worthy post. And I want to show you how to do that.
In my IFBC session, “How to Write a Scroll-Worthy Blog Post”, you are going to learn how to:
- Hook your audience from the beginning
- Keep them engaged throughout your post
- Put vivid pictures in their minds so that at happy hour that night, they say to Ralph (who is holding two beers because he is a lush), “You know I just read something today about that very thing! It was on this blog called…”
- Wow! They just mentioned your blog! And Ralph clinks his pint glasses down on the bar, splashing bits of Guinness into the nearby bowl of organic raw cashews, pulls out his phone and says, “Can you send me the link?”
- Ralph, whose husband also recently left him, relates to your story and immediately shares it with his sister with the words, “This is exactly what I’ve been trying to tell you!!!” Then he hits your SUBSCRIBE button. Email list plus one – woo hoo!
I will show you the power of words and how you can immediately take action on your current blog posts (and your next ones) to make them more visceral.
Hey, would you mind if I used your blog as one of my examples of how to take a sentence and give it an extra kick? I’d rather use yours than some stranger’s because I like you and I don’t even know that other guy and his Eating My Way Through South America blog.
So, if you’re curious or feeling brave, I would encourage you to submit your blog URL in the comments so I may feature it as an example of exactly how YOU can make your blog posts more scroll-worthy!