Dr. Julia Nordgren of Dr. Julia Cooks will keynote the 2019 International Food Blogger Conference. Her talk will be titled “Should Food Bloggers Consider the Health Effects of What They Write?”
Dr. Nordgren is not only a doctor but a trained chef and cookbook author. We thought she would be perfect as a keynote speaker and an expert in this topic.
About Dr. Julia
Dr. Nordgren received her medical degree from Dartmouth Medical School, completing her pediatrics residency at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, where she was elected Chief Resident. After years of treating patients for cholesterol disorders and childhood obesity, she was motivated to inspire people to make healthy eating part of their daily lives.
In 2012, she took a break from medical practice and enrolled in the prestigious Culinary Institute of America. She graduated with honors. She now combines her passion for great food and her knowledge as a physician to help families make sustainable, impactful lifestyle changes. Dr. Nordgren practices medicine at the Palo Alto Medical Foundation and leads hands-on culinary medicine teaching at the Stanford Teaching Kitchen.
Dr. Nordgren’s first cookbook, The New Family Table, came out in early February.
Should Food Bloggers Consider the Health Effects of What They Write?
We have never had this discussion before at the IFBC and we do not believe there is a definitive answer. But we think it is a question worth exploring! Here are just a few things to consider:
- Do writers in general have a responsibility for what they write or is it the reader’s responsibility to judge what they read?
- What does responsibility mean in this context anyway?
- Can you think of any writing that you would consider irresponsible?
- In the world of food and health, is “healthy” just one’s person opinion versus another or should we be driven by the facts and data?
- If you do agree you have a responsibility to consider health in your food blogging, what can you do?
These questions are just a prelude to Dr. Nordgren’s talk. If you have any ideas on this subject, please share them here and we will be sure to pass them on. And come prepared June 20-23 in Juneau with your questions!